Updated: May 29
Now that Dave and Darcy Go to the Beach has been officially published, I thought it would be good to share more about my fantastic illustrator, Laura! I hope you will agree that she has done a fantastic job in turning Dave into a loveable children’s book character, and I can’t wait to hear what you think of the illustrations throughout the book and which are your favourites.
I asked Laura a bunch of questions about drawing, reading and life in general – you can see her responses below. Enjoy!
1. How did you get into drawing?
I’ve loved drawing ever since I was little, but I didn’t think it would ever be more than a hobby. I would spend almost all my free time sketching characters that popped into my head.
2. What is your favourite subject to draw?
I love drawing animals, although sometimes I draw humans too. I like to create my own characters and see how they turn out.
3. Which of your own illustrations is your favourite?
I don’t think I have a favourite, but I am very happy with how Dave turned out!
4. Do you take inspiration from other artists/illustrators?
I used to be heavily inspired by Disney movies and would try to draw like the animators. However, I’ve come to find that it’s important to try and find your own style and experiment until you find something you like.
5. What is your favourite film?
Labyrinth, starring the late great David Bowie.
6. What is your favourite book?
As a child, The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe. As an adult, probably To Kill A Mockingbird.
7. Do you prefer reading paper books or e-books?
I prefer the feel of a physical book, but I do have a Kindle and I can’t say that it doesn’t come in handy.
8. Where is your favourite place to draw?
Wherever I can sit comfortably without too much noise. Sometimes I would find a quiet space in the corner of a cafe and just sketch.
9. What is the most recent book you have read?
Pieces of Her by Karin Slaughter.
10. What would be your perfect weekend?
A city break somewhere I’ve never been before where I can eat what I want because calories don’t count when you’re on holiday.
11. What is your favourite food?
Anything with carbs.
12. What is your least favourite food?
Celery – it’s an unnecessary vegetable.
13. What is your biggest pet peeve?
People talking obnoxiously loudly into their phones so you hear their whole life story. Usually when you’re queuing for something.
14. What would be your dream job outside of illustrating?
Running a tea shop.
15. Which new country would you love to visit?
Definitely Canada. It’s a beautiful country with incredible scenery and wildlife.
16. Where is your favourite place in the UK?
Bristol is definitely up there. It has everything from the theatre, great shops, bars, restaurants and a cat cafe!
17. What is your favourite season?
Autumn – big sweaters, hot drinks and gorgeous autumn leaves.
18. What are you scared of?
Rats. I think it stems from watching Lady and the Tramp.
19. If you could have any superpower, what would it be?
Flight. It would be really satisfying to end an argument by simply flying off.
20. Who would play you in a movie of your life?
I don’t think a movie of my life would be that interesting but Emilia Clarke.
You can check out more of Laura’s illustrations and doodles on her Instagram page, and stay tuned for more Dave and Darcy drawings soon!